Barbara’s Famous Bread Pudding
Yield: 15-20 Large Servings
24-30 pre baked pistolettes(buns)
30 egg yolks
3 qt. Heavy whipping cream
6 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 C white sugar
1. Break bread into small pieces and spread into a large hotel pan (4 in deep metal pan restaurant size or baking pan).
2. Separate egg yolks and place in large bowl. Put on side for now.
3. Mix heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar in pot and place over a medium-high flame until sugar is dissolved into mixture.
4. Incorporate heated cream mixture into the egg yolks slowly, as not to curdle the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
5. Pour about 2 shots of spiced rum over broken bread pieces. (We use Captain Morgan’s.)
6. Pour cream and egg mixture over bread, and let bread absorb it.(15 minutes or so, before baking.)
7. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over soaked bread mixture before baking.
8. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Oven temps and times vary. You are looking for it to shake as one unit when you shake pan and not be too jiggley. You can use the toothpick method like on a brownie but sometimes it is done and the toothpick still comes out a little sticky.
P.S. With this recipe, there is usually more milk egg mixture than you need for the bread. What we do is, like in the recipe, heat the remaining cream and egg mixture on stove on medium heat for 3 minutes only, stirring constantly, so as not to curdle eggs, and thicken. More cooking will thicken more. Then add Captain Morgan’s Rum to make our Rum sauce.